Aug 15, 2011

I Can Do Hard Things! Havasu Falls Trip

We left for Arizona at about 5 in the morning and made it to the trail head at around 6:30pm. The car ride was filled with many potty breaks (mostly for me) and stops to the gas station. When we reached the trail head, I was filled with many emotions: excitement, stress, nervousness, fear, and surprise. I looked out into the canyon and was ready for any challenge I may be faced with.

It's approximately 8 miles to the village and 2 miles to the campgrounds. By the time we had walked 8 miles to the village, it was very late and we were all tired. Jodi (our "guide") had the thought to stop by the small LDS chapel and ask if we could stay the night. The couple missionaries who stayed there were hesitant at first about letting us stay, but warmed up to us very quickly. Elder Kalmes gave us cold water and let us use a real bathroom. His hospitality was greatly appreciated. We slept outside the chapel/home inside the gates under the beautiful stars and an almost full moon. The next morning, we packed up our things and headed for the campsite.

Let me give you a little background about this village that we walked through. These Supai Indians are given everything, but show no respect for their land, their animals, or others. Garbage everywhere, and I mean everywhere. You'd think they would keep the beautiful place they've been given clean, but they don't and it's sad. They just expect the hikers that come through town to pick up after them. Their horses are malnourished and the dogs are left to roam the village looking for whatever food they may find. It's very heartbreaking the things that I saw.

After leaving the village, the first body of water that we saw was this beautiful waterfall called "New Falls" or "Fifty Foot Falls". It was created two years ago after a dam broke. It flooded everything, but created something so marvelous and fun!

After setting up camp, we were able to walk over the amazing "Havasu Falls" and swim for a few hours! If you check out the last post, we had fun jumping off the little falls and taking some pretty cool pictures!

On Friday, we had the chance to hike up to "Mooney Falls" this waterfall was slightly destroyed when the dam broke, but still possesses some of it's previous majesty. The hike to this one was very fun! In order to get down to swim in the water, you have to hike through 2 small tunnels and hike down holding on to nothing but chains. Once we got down, we took some pictures, and noticed that a scouting group would shortly be joining us. So, I, being the boy crazy girl that I am, showed off a bit and swam close to the waterfall, while the boys just had their feet in the cold water. They eventually joined me and the rest of our group in the water.

I saw that some of them had started to go behind the waterfall and I was slightly interested in going back there as well, but kept my distance close to the shore. Then, our group swam closer and closer into the waterfall, when all of the sudden, I couldn't touch the bottom anymore and the wake of the waterfall was too much to swim against. I was fighting to keep my head above water and scared to death that I was about to drown. I thrust my hand in the air, hoping someone would be there to help me out-- when all of the sudden, I saw those young men (a priest group from California) in a small cutout behind the waterfall and the next thing I know, I'm being pulled out of the water by the most amazingly handsome priest. I'm standing next to him, breathing really heavily with adrenaline pumping through my body like nobody's business. After he finished rescuing the rest of our group, he looked me in the eyes and asked if I was okay. I said yes, but what I really wanted to say was, "I'm okay when I'm with you!" After my breathing had slowed, I had to figure out a way out of the waterfall. The priest group, to the rescue again, lined the outside wall and helped us get back to shore safely. The only problem I encountered: a missing water-shoe.

After that combat with nature, I came up with the following analogy:

Sin is like the pool around the waterfall, you're swimming around in it, but being careful not to get sucked in with the "bad things" or in this case the raging waterfall. But then, without a moments notice, Satan, like the waterfall, sucks you into his trap. It's unexpected and scary. You aren't grounded, you're being swayed back and forth, you're scared and feeling like there's no way out. But, all you have to do is throw your hand in the air, trusting that the Savior, will help you out, like my handsome rescuer did. The young men lining the walls helped us to shore and they were there every step of the way until we were out. Jesus Christ does the same. He is there for us when we need him most. If we put our trust in him, having faith that he will help us, he will. No matter what the situation may be.
The moral of the story:
Don't keep swimming around in sin, no matter how fun it may be. Because wickedness never was happiness and you never know when Satan will suck you into his traps. Get out of sin as soon as possible. But always know: when you do get yourself into trouble, Jesus Christ, the Rescuer, will always be there to save us.
After that whole ordeal, Chase (the handsome priest) found this cool cave behind these smaller waterfalls. He had me jump down and go in there with him. It was the most amazing thing!

The hike out was a little bit challenging for me. I only had one shoe. Luckily, I had worn socks with them to give my foot a little bit of protection on the hike down, and boy, am I glad that I did. Only having one shoe on the way out, got me thinking about the pioneers coming west and how some, in the cold, snowy, winter months, didn't have any shoes at all. That thought gave me a slight perspective on how tough their journey was!

My most favorite part of the trip, was diving through the waterfalls at "New Falls" The water was so clear and very refreshing. The camera was able to capture the rainbows from the mist, this spot is so breathtaking!
The trip was coming to a close and we had to pack up our stuff and hike out. This was honestly the hardest part for me because I didn't want to leave this beautiful place and the peace and tranquility I had felt there. But, eventually, I knew that I would have to go back to reality, which wasn't a happy thought for me right now in time.
We left our campsite at around 9pm and hiked into the village where we thought we would be camping. But boy were we wrong.
The Indians living in the village, were celebrating their "Peach Springs" festival and it was downright the scariest thing I have ever experienced. It's about 10:30 by the time we reached the village and everyone is cat calling at us and boy, I have never seen so many drunk people in one place.
It's late. People are drunk. The unexpected could happen.
While walking the dirt roads, I'm silently crying and praying to my Heavenly Father that I would make it out unharmed. At that moment walking through the village, I was more scared than I was almost drowning in the waterfall. I hope to never be in a situation like that again.
We stopped at the LDS church one last time just to get away from the "world." I felt so safe within the gated church, I felt like Heavenly Father was giving me a big hug letting me know that everything was going to be alright. Two of the leaders decided to crash there one last time so that they could catch the helicopter in the morning, while the rest of us hiked out of the village by the light of the full moon.
Hiking out at night was one of the smartest things we could have done. It was cooler temperature wise and cooler than anything I have ever done. We hiked until about 2am then decided to camp about a mile and a half away from the killer switchbacks and finish them in the morning.
We hiked the switchbacks in a record time of 25 minutes and I even had enough energy to sprint the last stretch up to the parking lot!
My Testimony
I have a testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ. I know He lives and is watching over us and is always there with His arm outstretched just waiting to help us; I know this because I've experienced it. I have a testimony of His true church upon the earth and that the Gospel is going forth in places like the Havasupai Indian Reservation. I know that the Lord hears and answers prayers and gives us comfort and peace when we need it most. I know that the Book of Mormon is the most correct book on this earth and I wish I brought a whole stack of them to hand out while I was there. This book has changed lives; I know that because I've seen it work miracles in so many. I know Heavenly Father loves us, because He allowed me the opportunity to visit that marvelous place in safety and have a testimony building experience as well. I know the church is true. I know it!
Sorry this is so long, it's mostly for my sake, but enjoy it otherwise!
CTR
It's a Love-Lee Day!
Love,
Makenna Lee

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous, I've wanted to visit Havasupi for years now! It sounds like you had fun though - love your analogies and stories. And working the gospel into it - rockin.

    ReplyDelete