Jul 17, 2011

Edification



While reading The Book of Mormon this evening in the midst of the temple, I came across a really powerful scripture that really got me thinking.

Jacob 3:1

But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.

Let's dig deeper!

Pure in Heart: "To be pure in heart is a most desirable quality. There comes a strength to those who are pure. It is a measurable, physical strength. It was said of Sir Galahad that he had the strength of ten, because his heart was pure. Purity of heart also brings about a mental strength and integrity. In this day of mental conflict and compromise, the person with integrity and purity stands out like a giant in a world of Pygmies.
There is another dimension of purity that seems to be lost in our day. It is modesty. Few souls on the earth understand what true modesty is. In a recent conversation I asked a great leader in the kingdom what had impressed him most about President J. Reuben Clark, Jr. You would have been surprised with his answer. It wasn’t the unmatched wisdom or brilliant mind. It wasn’t his great spiritual stature. It wasn’t the high esteem in which he was held by the great leaders of nations. It was his total modesty. President J. Reuben Clark, along with all of his other great character traits, had a quality of modesty that is extremely rare in man. He was as modest in his thinking as he was in dress. The slightest deviation from the pure standard was an affront to him. Modesty is necessary to one who is pure in heart." (Bishop Vaughn J. Featherstone, August 1973).

Firmness of Mind: Firmness belongs to the will, and constancy to the affections and principles; the former prevents us from yielding, and the latter from fluctuating. Without firmness a man has no character. (Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, 1913)

Exceeding Faith: My first semester seminary teacher Brother Anderson repeated almost daily: "Faith is a principle of action and power." I know this to be true! In accounts of this scripture, we need to act and do our part for the Lord to fulfill his.

He Will: Those two words are so comforting. He will. It's a promise.

Console: v. to alleviate the grief, sense of loss, or trouble.


Jesus Christ is just and merciful. I know that He lives and that he is always there for us in our time of need. I know that the Atonement isn't just for sin; it's for the grieving, lost, troubled, alone, and depressed. I know I can overcome whatever trial I am faced with with the help of my Savior, Jesus Christ.

Read The Book of Mormon.

It's a Love-Lee Day!

Love,

Makenna Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment